Skip to main content

Ramayana

When I was studying engineering, we learnt in one of the subjects that a less probable event conveys more information. 'The sun rises in the east' - hmm... ok... everyone knows this... so what? See what I mean, zero information. But when you read 'Click here to know xyz about Nick Priyanka's wedding', now that's information(according to news outlets) since the probability of a common person knowing that xyz is miniscule. [Disclaimer: The subject only dealt with quantity of information. It didn't have any theory on the quality of information.(Although I wish it did, so that I could use it to purge my news feed)].

Anyways, I am writing about probability of events because often in our lives, rare events or one-off moments are the ones which make the most impact. An unplanned trip to Lonavala will be the one of your best outings(despite a lack of candid pics which you pose for). An unexpected act of kindness remains etched in your conscience changing your outlook towards people. Just the memory of that fleeting look from someone special still makes your heart race even after all these years.

One such unexpected but memorable event that I witnessed was on the occasion of Ram Navami. There's a beautiful place called 'Shilparamam' in Hyderabad which is known for handicrafts and other things.(I really had to scratch my head to describe the wares that are sold there and all that I could come up with was handicrafts. That's how bad I'm at shopping.) Long story short it's a famous joint for shopping. But it also has a cultural centre associated with it which hosts events like classical dancing among other things.

All my visits to Shilparamam till then were in the capacity of a 'reluctant observer' tagging along with some friend who is going shopping there. On the evening of Ram Navami too I was fulfilling my role dutifully going to Shilparamam with my friend who wanted to buy clothes for family. Now I am not a very religious person and I had no clue that it was the day of Ram Navami. Anyways, after entering the complex we heard some classical music and since we had some spare time we went towards the direction of the sound to see what's going on.

We arrived at an open air theatre and saw some dancers who were enacting scenes from Ramayana on the dais. We decided on enjoying the show for a while before moving on with our main mission(mission impossible for me). The song-story was being narrated in Telugu, the local language and I had absolutely no idea what was being sung. But I didn't need to - since the whole thing was also being narrated in another language - dance.

Now I have read Ramayana numerous times since my childhood. I used to go to my ancestral village for summer vacations and the dominant form of entertainment were FM radio and old cassette players. But when the electricity is on a hike, or there is that typical summer afternoon lull, I used to read whatever I find. There were only a few book to read and the copy of Ramayana was my favourite one. I liked the story of Ramayana so much that for subsequent years, even if there was anything else to read I would re-read the familiar story one more time.

And now that I have grown up, living hundreds of kilometers away from my village, those memories had receded to a dusty corner of my brain. But seeing the old favourite story being enacted right in front of me brought all those memories rushing back. The story of Shabari, who had tasted the wild berries herself before presenting them to Ram & Lakshman to ensure that they only get the sweetest of them has always been close to my heart. She seems to me like a mother wanting the very best for her children. But on that day the elegance and expressions of those dancers portraying the same story added a new dimension to the feelings that Shabari's story elicited. Similarly the occasion when Bharat meets Ram in exile, and returns with his 'paduka', their brotherly love was portrayed beautifully. The anger and anguish on Lakshman's face when Sita throws wild accusations at him because he refuses to leave her alone at the 'ashram' to go look for Ram, or the fight of the brave Jatayu with Raavan and his pain when he is wounded felt so realistic. I can just go on and on and yet my limited vocabulary and even more limited imagination and flair could not be able to capture the experience I felt on that day.

While leaving the performance, I was thinking that it was amazing that I could enjoy and understand that performance even though I was in a region which is quite different from where I have been brought up. And that was possible because no matter how much our differences appear stark and obvious in terms of language, customs, food and other countless things, under all that bewildering diversity there are a few common fundamental threads that have tied us all together for centuries. And that's a comforting thought to have in this increasingly globalized, connected but in a sense also a very divided and lonely world.

I have always had trouble contemplating the divine, but the art and talent that I saw on that evening was nothing short of divine in my book. And not just because it was so damn good but also because it has the power to bring all of us together, to be the invisible thread that brings all the different coloured flowers together to form a beautiful garland, to serve a higher purpose, to be a better person, to be like Ram.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reason I Travel

Recently one of my friends posted a question on FB as to why do you travel? He got many responses to the question including mine. Many of the responses had the common thread of exploration, perspective, life is short etc. Even when I was writing my response I wanted it to be brief, but ended up writing quite a few lines. Many days have passed since, and I have visited some more new places and gained new experiences. But it is not always about the pleasant experiences and beautiful locations. Sometimes you are stranded at a bus stop and meet some unpleasant people or have the beautiful image of the place that you have in your mind, destroyed by the ground realities. It is at these times I think to myself, why do I do this? I know this sounds corny, but such questions inevitably occur when you are waiting for the train for 10 hours. (I reached 6 hours early and the universe rewarded my overzealous punctuality by delaying the train by 4 hours. I finished a novel in that time, cleared the

A Copernicus I Met

When I first came to know that the catholic church had banned Copernicus' book because in it he suggested that the earth revolves around the sun, I thought 'What!, its so obvious'. Maybe it was because I already 'knew' that the earth is not the centre of our solar system. But now I can understand why the church did what it did. When we hear something getting repeated or experience something everyday, we tend to think that this is how things are. And when we encounter something out of the ordinary it comes as a rude shock. We have been wired to think about ourselves a lot, it's how we have survived as a species. Of course we think about our families, our friends, relatives and the society(this one is unnecessary most of the times). But we think about all of them from 'our' perspective. For people living in cities, this becomes a more acute problem because we have a very strict routine and few (meaningful) human contacts. So we are always concerned with

The Baba Bashing

The 'babas' and 'imams' and 'priests' who call themselves the incarnations of God or claim to speak His word, I always ignore them. The things they speak ring hollow in my ears. My brain is a pretty standard one and it doesn't like complicated things and elaborate 'truths'. It always tries to find a simpler explanation and that's why I just try to be a better person. That is enough for me rather than devoting myself to someone to feel closer to God. Being a better person is a huge task in itself, which will never be complete in one's lifetime. No matter which God you believe in or whether you believe in the concept of God in the first place, you still will be making a positive change just by keeping your moral compass pointing in the right direction. So whenever news of such pretenders getting booked for some crime appear in my news feed I just scroll on. After all someday they have to face the music. You can't fool everyone all the t