Skip to main content

In Search of Serenity

In my last blog post I spoke about my growing appreciation of history. I also spoke about the relation that history and geography have which is very evident in India. India's history usually starts with the Indus Valley civilization (accurately called as the Indus-Sarasvati Civilization). Then it transitions to the emergence and spread of Hinduism. I had already read about this in my school History textbooks. But when I was getting reacquainted with history with a new perspective I realized that I know so little about my own religion. And since a large part of India's history deals with the rise of the Hindu religion, its evolution, the good and the bad elements that crept in, its political nature and so on, I felt that I should start reading about my own religion and get to know it better. Hinduism is a very complex religion to get to know. The sheer school of thoughts that range from one extreme to another and still coexist relatively peacefully makes it hard to study Hinduism. If you want to start knowing Hinduism where do you start?

In my efforts to understand Hinduism I started reading books that were suggested by friends and on the internet and the ones that caught my eye. I was more curious about the process of evolution of a religion in general and Hinduism in particular. I also read about the evolution of other religions, some books that are banned in India because of their 'different' take on Hinduism. I am still reading and I think that the process is going to last for a lifetime. Anyways the subject of this post is related to one of the books that I read during my quest. It is 'India - A sacred Geography' by Diana L. Eck. This book speaks about the tradition of pilgrimage in India which is as old as the Hindu religion itself. It shows the awareness of the Indians towards a shared homeland, a shared geography, which they all belonged to. Though India has different regions which are culturally, linguistically different, you can find a Marvadi dharamshala in Rameshvaram or a Bengali Guest House in Gaya. The common people for centuries traveled the age old pilgrimage circuits which encompass all of India and bound this country in their conscience as a single entity.

Anyways in the last two years I have got a chance to travel a bit and explore my country. When I was in South, some of us in TCS had planned a trip to Rameshwaram and Madurai. I was excited to visit Rameshwaram because of two things - first the railway bridge on the sea near Pamban and second visiting one of the 'char dhams'.

The journey was exciting, and I enjoyed the view when the train was travelling on the sea bridge. My hopes were high after this and soon we reached Rameshwaram temple. We were asked to first take a dip in the ocean before entering the temple. When we arrived at the ghat, we could see the people taking the dip in the water polluted to a degree that it appeared completely black. The street leading to the ghat was littered with garbage. Just seeing the surroundings I was disgusted. This was supposed to be one of the holiest places of worship in India. The mental image that I had conjured was one of a clean and peaceful surrounding. So the dirty streets and the pandemonium of the crowd was a rude shock. I just wanted to get over with the dip and then enter the temple in hope that I will feel better there. After taking the dip, depositing our belongings and phones we proceeded to enter the temple. Once inside, we were bathed in the water from 12 kunds which had appeared when Rama'a arrows pierced the ground at Rameshwaram. This bath was a relief as it washed away the feeling of disgust. Now we were arriving at the climax of our journey in the temple complex. There was a long line of devotees waiting to get the darshan of the Shiva Linga in the inner sanctum. We too joined the throng of the devotees. The line progressed at a brisk speed. The pushing and frenzy of the crowd increased as we neared the sanctum. Now, I am not a very religious person, but I was curious to see the source of the longing of all these people. So when my turn arrived I peered in the darkness of the sanctum to lay my eyes on the Shiva Linga. The sanctum was glowing in the yellow light of the oil lamps. The linga was shrouded in garlands and I was craning my neck to see through them. Just when I felt that I was beginning to see in the darkness I was whisked away by the pujaris and the onslaught of the devotees. I felt disappointed for a while but it was OK. I was there to experience the atmosphere rather than seeing the idol. So we found an empty spot and just sat there observing the crowds that were pouring in. I saw people getting in with pooja thalis, muttering incantations and mantras, babies crying, mothers consoling them, everyone focused on the sanctum, trying to get the darshan of their beloved God. Such was their determination, that people around them mattered no more. They were indifferent to the crying babies, pushing the mothers and women forward in their haste. Seeing this I wondered what is of such a great importance there in the sanctum that people have no regard for other people. I am not questioning the devotion or beliefs of the crowd but was it worth so much that you ignore your humanity.

Majority of the people coming to major pilgrimage sites in India are driven by material motives. It’s the want of things, the fulfilment of their wishes or the gratitude they need to express because their wishes were delivered. For some it’s a tradition to visit these temples. But how many people come to experience the spiritual environment that these temples provide? Temples ought to be places where one can connect to God, but our greed and want has turned them into a chaotic bazaar where people expect to get their wishes granted and offer things in return. We have become so material oriented that being in the presence of God is not enough for us. I myself am not clear on what God is or whether I believe in the concept. So saying that temple is a place of God feels weird. But if you visit a temple when there's no rush, just sit there in the premises doing nothing, you feel a silence that soothes you, comforts you. At that moment you tend to forget yourself and that makes you realise that you are not the centre of the universe. That there are many great things out there which are more important, more beautiful, more precious and that you are just a figment. That feeling is what I have come close to describing God. Losing yourself and submitting to the collective consciousness of the universe or the nothingness. I just feel that people should at least keep this in their mind when they visit temples and try to stop for a moment and take notice of the things around  them. I don’t know how people expect good grace from God when they cannot even move an inch in their seats to accommodate a stranded passenger in the train while they are on their way to visit Shirdi. Kindness, compassion, love and brotherhood are the most valued offerings that can be offered to the God. You don’t need to give away gold ornaments at the temples, you just have to make sure that you don’t throw the garbage carelessly around the premises. If we want our temples to remain as centres of spiritual experience, we have to ensure that they are clean, remain disciplined and have good intensions in our hearts. That’s it, that’s all we need.

I would like to point two contrasts that I experienced during my journey. When I was in Kolkata I visited the Belur Math. It is a math established by the Ramakrishna Mission. Ramakrishna Mission was established by Swami Vivekananda which he named after his guru Ramakrishna Paramhansa. In the math there is an idol of Ramakrishna Paramhansa and a large open space in front of the idol. When I reached there a few people were sitting there in utter silence. Some noiselessly chanting a mantra, some just sitting there with their eyes either open or closed. Now Ramakrishna Paramhansa wasn’t a God, but his deeds make him worthy of our respect and devotion. The silence that pervaded the atmosphere in the midst of all those people there was a very novel experience for me. I too sat there in silence for nearly 20 mins and when I came out I just wanted to maintain that state of silence and peace for as long as possible. Sitting outside the math and watching the Hooghly river I wondered why can't our temples be like this. That's why I decided to write all my thoughts down here. After Kolkata I visited Amarkantak in MP. Amarkantak is where the rivers Narmada and Son originate. The Narmada kund which is where Narmada river starts has a temple complex. The complex isn't very big and is very nice and one of the quieter temples that I have visited recently. Going downstream I saw people taking a hold dip in the river. There were many sign boards telling the pilgrims not to use soap and oil while bathing. But after their holy dip and 'cleansing' themselves of their sins, people wanted to cleanse their bodies thoroughly too. So paying no heed to the sign post they used soaps and shampoos and polluted the very river that they worship. Further downstream, the river gets abused in more dirtier ways. Human excrement litters the river bed within 10km from the source, where the river is nothing but a small stream. While walking downstream in a more remote place along the river, I saw youngsters who were on a trip defecating in the water itself. Just 10 km from the source the river which millions of people worship and depend on for their household water supply is getting such a treatment. People have no right to worship the river if they don’t know how to respect it. They just don’t realise their wrongdoings. A person from Bihar(just an example) thinks that polluting this river doesn’t affect him since Narmada doesn’t flow from there. When are we going to realise that thinking in this manner is just wrong. We shouldn’t do wrong things, period. It's not going to affect me, it's my money, no harm no foul etc. etc. arguments just don’t matter.

Swami Vivekananda believed that for Indians to realize the glory of their religion, they must first be uplifted from poverty. Only when a person has his basic needs fulfilled can he find the time and will to ponder on religion. Today majority of people who visit pilgrimage sites have all that and some more yet we see that they are more irresponsible and disrespecting than the previous generation. Even if you don’t believe in religion, God, you at least (I hope) have the common sense of not polluting the river, not littering the temples. It's time that our generation rises up to the occasion and takes the mantle of restoring our heritage, our temples, our holy place to their spiritual glory.

Let them be a place of knowledge and realization
Let them be a place which connects us with our civilization
Let them be a place where we find things that we miss
Let them be a place where one can find serenity and peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reason I Travel

Recently one of my friends posted a question on FB as to why do you travel? He got many responses to the question including mine. Many of the responses had the common thread of exploration, perspective, life is short etc. Even when I was writing my response I wanted it to be brief, but ended up writing quite a few lines. Many days have passed since, and I have visited some more new places and gained new experiences. But it is not always about the pleasant experiences and beautiful locations. Sometimes you are stranded at a bus stop and meet some unpleasant people or have the beautiful image of the place that you have in your mind, destroyed by the ground realities. It is at these times I think to myself, why do I do this? I know this sounds corny, but such questions inevitably occur when you are waiting for the train for 10 hours. (I reached 6 hours early and the universe rewarded my overzealous punctuality by delaying the train by 4 hours. I finished a novel in that time, cleared the

A Copernicus I Met

When I first came to know that the catholic church had banned Copernicus' book because in it he suggested that the earth revolves around the sun, I thought 'What!, its so obvious'. Maybe it was because I already 'knew' that the earth is not the centre of our solar system. But now I can understand why the church did what it did. When we hear something getting repeated or experience something everyday, we tend to think that this is how things are. And when we encounter something out of the ordinary it comes as a rude shock. We have been wired to think about ourselves a lot, it's how we have survived as a species. Of course we think about our families, our friends, relatives and the society(this one is unnecessary most of the times). But we think about all of them from 'our' perspective. For people living in cities, this becomes a more acute problem because we have a very strict routine and few (meaningful) human contacts. So we are always concerned with

The Baba Bashing

The 'babas' and 'imams' and 'priests' who call themselves the incarnations of God or claim to speak His word, I always ignore them. The things they speak ring hollow in my ears. My brain is a pretty standard one and it doesn't like complicated things and elaborate 'truths'. It always tries to find a simpler explanation and that's why I just try to be a better person. That is enough for me rather than devoting myself to someone to feel closer to God. Being a better person is a huge task in itself, which will never be complete in one's lifetime. No matter which God you believe in or whether you believe in the concept of God in the first place, you still will be making a positive change just by keeping your moral compass pointing in the right direction. So whenever news of such pretenders getting booked for some crime appear in my news feed I just scroll on. After all someday they have to face the music. You can't fool everyone all the t